Monday, December 8, 2008

The "ground rules"

This hob-blog is intended to serve as an outlet for my quirky obsession with languages and scripts. As long as I can remember I have been obsessed with language trivia. Usually when I try to involve others by sharing what I consider to be an interesting fact or connection relating to languages, I either get the polite nod or the quick attempt to change the subject. Hopefully, this blog will attract others with a similar interest.

This blog is not a rigorous academic blog. Though I am familiar with dative vs. accusative case and I know what an ergative-abblative language might be, I won't be posting tons of articles comparing the genitive cases of various Niger B languages. Along the same lines, I may soon post a screed about the age-old debate between language and dialect, a post that will inevitably anger some and so to all, I just want to say, "Lighten up, this is all in good fun. Nothing I write here will ever be backed by any government or endorsed by any religion. So it won't really affect you in real life."

No comments: